We love this high mineral, easy to prepare homemade borscht soup recipe! Use your slow cooker to make this Eastern European classic… with a few healthy modifications you will find below –
- 1 (16 ounce) package sulfite free organic pork or chicken sausage or ground organic turkey or shredded chicken
- 3 medium beets, peeled and shredded
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- ½ medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Himalayan salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon monk fruit sugar, or to taste
- ½ cup organic sour cream or plant based organic sour cream, for topping
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Step 1
Crumble the sausage (if using) or add the ground turkey or shredded organic chicken into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until no longer pink. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Step 2
Chop up all the veggie ingredients and place them along with the seasoning, tomato paste and diced tomatoes into a slow cooker, add 2 cups of filtered water. Add the sautéed meat. Stir well and cover. Slow cook on high overnight.
- Step 3
Place in the fridge until ready to eat.
- Step 4
Ladle desired amount into a pot and warm up on the stove top on medium heat for approximately 10 minutes. Stir often Ladle approximately 1 ½ cups into a serving bowl, and garnish with sour cream and fresh parsley, or fore go that if desired! Enjoy.