What is Integrative Health?
Integrative health combines traditional medicine with a diverse range of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) therapies to treat the whole person. ModiHealth takes this integrative approach a step further and integrates a diverse range of coaches to bridge the gap between short-term immediate care and implementing permanent lifestyle changes to help patients achieve a better quality of life in the long-term. These therapies which range from acupuncture and massage therapy, to teaching various stress management techniques—are designed to supplement traditional healing. Integrative care is patient-centered care, and it is about the collaboration between patients and the practitioners who help them heal.
Traditional or allopathic medicine refers to the practice of conventional medicine that uses pharmaceuticals or physical interventions (like surgery) to treat or suppress symptoms or pathophysiologic processes of disease. Traditional medicine works well when you have a life-threatening issue, need urgent care, suffering from severe symptoms, or there is an immediate threat on your life. It is often the first line of treatment on the path to health. Traditional or western medicine saves lives daily.
Complementary and Alternative Medicine are treatments used along side of or instead of traditional (mainstream) therapies. Some people also refer to it as “integrative,” or “complementary” medicine. These types of treatments are very effective in treating underlying issues in chronic conditions that traditional medicine is often unable to treat. Some types of effective alternative therapies include acupuncture, chiropratic, energy therapies, herbal medicine, yoga, massage therapies, and ayurvedic medicine.
Coaching and more specifically health coaching, is becoming a very effective part of extending patient care outside of the office. Engaging patients in positive behavior changes can improve their overall health and reduce the amount of medical care they need. Trained health coaches can take on a lot of these responsibilities to advance lifestyle changes, provide nutritional counseling, wellness, prevention, and patient health. A health coach can bring an extra boost to methods for both prevention and treatment.
Integrative Health Model
Integrative Health and Wellness Model
The ModiHealth approach is an integrative health model. This approach to healthcare is based in traditional Western medicine but seeks to integrate Complementary and Alternative Medicine, or CAM for short, to treat the whole person. Alternative medicine is a term that describes medical treatments that are used in addition to traditional (mainstream) therapies. ModiHealth is about connection, offering alternative therapies and services that work alongside traditional medical therapies to heal the mind, body, and spirit to achieve true health and well-being.
- Mental Health – Growing Your Understanding and Awareness
- Emotional Health – Support, Techniques, Growth/Healing, Coping Techniques
- Physical health – Nutrition, Exercise, Supplements, Medication, Therapies & Treatments
- Spiritual Health – Growing Your Personal Spiritual Life
Holistic Approach to Health
Because physical health is just one part of you.
Conditions for which we seek treatment aren’t always limited to the physical. At ModiHealth we take a holistic approach to healing that integrates the whole person in the quest for optimal health and balance. Our holistic approach is evidence-based and scientifically validated. Our Integrative Health Network practitioners collaborate with patients, physicians, and specialists within our provider network to develop a coordinated and multidisciplinary treatment plan. By balancing all the parts that make up a person, one can experience a type of healing that promotes lasting change.
What are the priciniples of holistic healing?
- Optimal health comes from physical, mental, emotional and spiritual balance
- People have innate healing powers
- Compassion can mentor healing
- Prevention is more effective and a less invasive response
- The ideal practitioner-patient relationship is a partnership
- Practitioners live by the examples they teach
- Life’s joys and challenges are learning opportunities
What are the health benefits of evidence-based holistic therapies?
At ModiHealthwe recognize that well-being refers to far more than the absence of a disease. Rather, it focuses on the whole person and their physical, emotional and psychological health.Through our network, we bring together conventional and complementary treatments, incorporating innovative and holistic services and therapies to promote healing. Holistic treatments won’t fix all your health problems because healing and wellness are a journey. However, body-centered, holistic therapies alongside traditional medicine can promote your body’s natural healing abilities. This is a basic principle of Integrative Health.
The main benefits of holistic treatments are:
- The patient’s lifestyle, beliefs, observations and habits are honored. Holistic medicine recognizes the person who has an illness is more important than the type of illness the person has.
- Treatment methods which are least likely to do harm are used first in holistic medicine. These are often also more cost-effective and pre-emptive than conventional drugs and surgery.
- Holistic medicine endeavors to achieve societal change through respect for the individual and for the contribution of diversity to an integrative model of healing. Healing must take place on all levels—individual, social, cultural and planetary—for the survival, as well as the happiness, of life on earth.