While antacids are medicines that can effectively counteract or neutralise the acid in your stomach in order to relieve indigestion and heartburn, are there downsides?
Absolutely! Gut issues such as indigestion, bloating, heartburn and gas are powerful feedback that your body is giving you. Simply popping an antacid is like putting a band aid on a deeper issue. It is so important for your health to take this powerful feedback and work towards resolving the root issue.
Do antacids help with gas?
Yes, they can, however, again gas is powerful feedback from your body that your gut health is out of balance. This may be caused by a food allergy or sensitivity! Seek out testing or try an elimination diet.
If you are taking antacids, the best time to take antacids is with water right after a meal or before going to bed. However consider using them ONLY when absolutely necessary and taking steps to correct the cause of the symptoms longer term.
What are some side effects to consider when taking antacids?
Some of the common side effects are:
- stomach cramps
What else to consider…
The health and proper balance of your gut contributes to both health and illness in significant ways. No matter what health issues someone is facing, adding intentionality and effective actions towards increasing gut health will make a positive impact.
Your gut health effects every organ and system in your body, especially the following:
- Your immune system
- The balance of neurotransmitters in your brain
- Your digestion & absorption of nutrients
- Your Ph levels
- Your microbiome (more on this below)
- Brain function
- Internal inflammation (inflammation is associated and present with all illness & disease)
- Mental and emotional health
The top ways to improve gut health is through:
- Proper nutrition (eat more plants and reduce sugar, processed foods and alcohol)
- Drink more water
- Get enough sleep
- Work on moving your body (exercise) and reducing stress
- Supporting gut health with pre and probiotics